I read the passage below from Romans 6 today:
The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God. In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires. Do not offer any part of yourself to sin as an instrument of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer every part of yourself to him as an instrument of righteousness. For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace.
Two questions: If we have died to sin in Christ . . .
- Why do we allow sin to control our life?
- Why don’t we use our life to display the righteousness of God?
It seems like these are a constant struggle for the believer. I know that I want to improve in these areas. Here are some of the steps I have/am taking:
- Begin a daily Bible reading program.
- Begin a prayer list and actually use it when I pray each day.
- Give someone permission to ask me the tough questions about my spiritual growth.
- Begin to put into practice those things that I learn from the scripture (even the ones I do not like).
- Use a Journal to chronicle my progress and to synthesize my weekday discoveries.